Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What Do I Do All Day?

I'm actually going to talk about being a librarian. I felt it was necessary due to my supervisor confirming the fact that I'm an afterthought around here. Yesterday, he asked me to complete the manager's portion of my performance review, because he does not know what I do. Yes, you heard me. He actually said that, and then I did my own performance review. This is really the least of my worries in the dysfunctional place that I call work, and just another reason why it's hard for me to get up and go there every morning.

It did get me to thinking about a list of library director tasks I saw a while ago, and how at the time I thought I could adapt it to my daily tasks and maybe convince someone somewhere that I do have the skills and experience to do something other than just library work. The question is can I send something like this along with my resume for the people outside the library world that just don't get it?


6 comments:

  1. I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

    Stacey Derbinshire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our company has several corporate librarians in charge of dealing with our periodicals, journals, etc. Maybe something like that would be good? Most major companies have something like that.

    And what ya do is incorporate those tasks on your list into terms that people will search for when the look for your resume.

    Don't forget if you need recruiting advice, holler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, corporate librarians die in the same position they started in unless they do stupid things like follow their husband around the state. So if one of your librarians over there is close to retirement, let me know... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo stealing this! I get to add vomit cleaner and homeless usher too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okaaay...I refuse to clean up after these hoodlums. When they pull staples and leave them sitting on the reference desk, I flick them towards the computer carrels and hope they hit someone in the eye. I'm sure there's thousands of staples embedded in the carpet, because the cleaning crew refuses to clean also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] the past two years, I have complained a bit about the job I am leaving today. I knew within two months of starting the job that this proprietary university [...]

    ReplyDelete